Categories: Television

‘Spider-Man’ Studio Sony Pictures Goes Public with Marvel Cinematic Universe Divorce: “We Are Disappointed”

Sony Pictures is vowing to carry on the Spider-Man franchise without Marvel Cinematic Universe Studios’ contribution, setting the blame on Disney for cutting the successful inter-studio co-operation short.

In a statement acquired solely by The Hollywood Reporter, the studio says it is “disappointed” that Marvel president Kevin Feige will never again act as a lead maker on the film franchise, fairly laying the decision at Disney’s feet.

“Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise,” says a Sony spokesperson. “We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live-action Spider-Man film.”

The studio at that point says Feige, who shepherds the robust Marvel Cinematic Universe for Disney-owned Marvel, may simply have a lot on his plate, given that Disney recently gained extra Marvel characters through its obtaining of 21st Century Fox.

“We hope this might change in the future, but understand that the many new responsibilities that Disney has given him – including all their newly added Marvel properties – do not allow time for him to work on IP they do not own,” says the statement. “Kevin is terrific and we are grateful for his help and guidance and appreciate the path he has helped put us on, which we will continue.”

The statement comes as THR and others revealed Tuesday that Sony and Disney have parted ways as co-makers on the resuscitated Spider-Man film franchise. Reports propose that studio chiefs Tom Rothman at Sony and Alan Horn at Disney couldn’t agree on a financial arrangement to keep on teaming up.

Disney and Sony entered into a unique partnership for Marvel to produce the Spider-Man movies that featured Tom Holland. The deal saw Feige as a lead producer on Spider-Man: Homecoming and Spider-Man: Far From Home in a complex arrangement that permitted the hero, whose movie rights are controlled by Sony, to show up in Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War and two Avengers films.

The two sides had been discussing approaches to expand the deal for future Spider-Man films to star Holland yet talks collapsed recently.

Sony declared Monday that Far From Home had surpassed Skyfall to become the studio’s most successful release, with a worldwide haul of $1.109 billion and tallying. The film will be re-released over the Labor Day weekend with 4 minutes of extra footage.

Pamela Greenberg

Recent Posts

Matthew Denegre on the Art of Deal Sourcing: Finding the Right Investment Opportunities

Successful deal sourcing is a cornerstone of investment planning, influencing everything from the quality of… Read More

2 hours ago

Gregory Thoke’s Top Ski Resorts in Fort Collins, Colorado

Fort Collins, Colorado, is a gateway to unforgettable winter experiences, offering an ideal blend of… Read More

2 hours ago

David Kircus: Building a Winning Sales Team Using a Professional Athlete Mentality

Success in sales and professional sports share striking similarities, from the mindset required to the… Read More

5 hours ago

LGCT Debuts on Gate.io: Legacy Network Scales Gamified, AI-Powered Learning Globally

As blockchain continues to shape new frontiers across industries, few sectors are as ripe for… Read More

1 day ago

Designed For The Masses: How Akasha (AK1111) Is Unlocking Crypto For The Next Billion Users

One of the greatest challenges in cryptocurrency is accessibility. With confusing user interfaces, complicated processes,… Read More

1 day ago

Mazen Saif reveals details of the movie “I am Al-Ittihad”

Sports Journalist Mazen Saif revealed that the film "I Am Al-Ittihad" is currently showing in… Read More

2 days ago